Friday, October 17, 2008

The Shepherd Speaks Gently


God is the Good Shepherd who gave His life for the sheep.

The thief comes to steal, kill and destroy, I come that you might have life and that you might have it more abundantly. (John 10:10)

Because God knows our nature, He also knows our needs. (Heck, I don't even know my own needs).

As we go in and out, we can enjoy abundant life in God's rich pasture, truly enjoying fullness and freedom.

In the pasture, by the waters, and through the valleys, we sheep need not fear, because the Shepherd is caring for us and meeting our needs. We shall not want, goodness and mercy shall follow us all the days of our lives. (Psalm 23)

My little one, have you not heard My Word, go not into the bypaths? I, your loving Shepherd am by your side. why should you wander off? I have brought you into tender green pastures and beside a flowing stream. Let your soul drink deeply and feed to your heart's content.

It is no idle pastime; I have brought you here for My own good pleasure and for purposes only known to Me. In the days ahead you shall know why we came this way. Trust Me now and be unmoved by any disturbance. The distant call, you shall ignore. Stay close to Me and your heart shall delight in thy God. Your fellowship with Me ashall be precious beyond anything words can tell. I love you deeply, and when love is deep, words are little needed. Shouting is unthinkable. Devotion is silent and love silences conversation. The shepherd speaks gently, and lambs do not respond to shouts. He who yells at the sheep is behaving like a hireling rather than like a shepherd. The inner ear of the spirit is attuned to hear the still small voice.

Lay your head upon My knee and let Me quiet you. Forget all the rest! What others do, need not concern you. I have never required you to understand the actions of others. Only yield. Let Me do all the rest.

Sleep is My love gift to you. Do not despise it or set it aside. Rest in My care, for I love to care for you but I can't when you are wrongfully anxious about the behavior of others. I will correct and minister to them Myself, for I love them just as much as I love you. But they are too occupied to come to Me now. Leave them all to Me. Come rest in your Shepherd's arm.

Lord, may this sheep hear Your voice and not be afraid to follow. Thank You that I am in Your flock and fold and have the wonderful privilege of going in and out finding pasture. Thank You that You know us by name, our nature and our characteristics. You recognize these traits and You consider the special needs as You tend to us. Thank You that You won't abandon us, instead, You are leading us into a season of radical new growth. Thank You that Your voluntary death was followed by Your resurrection. You are greater than all and no man is able to pluck us out of the father's hand. (John 10:28-29)

Frances J. Roberts~ Dialogues with God

No comments: