Thursday, October 30, 2008

Seeing God In Our Situation

Because of this I rejoice. - Philippians 1:18

When Paul wrote, "What has happened to me has really served to advance the Gospel" (Philp 1:12), he was in prison using his situation to tell people about Jesus. He goes on to say, "It has become clear throughout the whole palace guard...that I am in chains for Christ" (Philp 1:13). Then he points out that through his imprisonment "most of the brothers in the Lord have been encouraged to speak the Word of God more courageously and fearlessly" (Philp 1:14). Even when Paul found out that some people were preaching the Gospel to make trouble for him, he said, "What does it matter? The important thing is...whether from false motives or true, Christ is preached. And because of this I rejoice" (Philp 1:18).

Arrested unjustly, treated unkindly, his future uncertain, Paul looked for God's hand in every situation. Therefore he could say in all things "because of this I rejoice". What perspective! What an attitude!

A century ago, following a coal mining accident, the Bishop of Durham told mourners, "It's difficult to understand why God let such a disaster happen, but we know and trust Him and all will be right.

I have embroidered kitchen towels my grandmother made. When I examine the wrong side I see nothing but a tangle of threads...it looks like a big mistake. One would think someone had done it who didn't know what they were doing. But when I turn it over and look at the right side I see beautifully embroidered, the days of the week and a lady doing a chore. We are looking at this today from the wrong side. Someday we shall see it from another standpoint and we shall understand."When we begin to see God in our situation, we can say "because of this I rejoice".

YOU DETERMINE YOUR ATTITUDE your attitude is not determined by circumstances, but by how you respond to your circumstances.

No comments: